Serves 10 (at least!)
- 250g/9 oz plain flour
- 250g/9 oz caster sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 7 fl oz sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 100g/ 3.5 oz pecan nuts roughly chopped
- 375g/13 oz ripe bananas peeled weight. Mashed
- 85g/ 3oz canned crushed pineapple plus 4 tbsp juice from the can
- 175g/ 6oz full fat soft cheese
- 55g/ 2oz unsalted butter
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 400g/ 14oz icing sugar
- 25g / 1oz roughly chopped pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease and base-line 3 23cm/9 inch sandwich tins.
- Sift together the flour, castor sugar, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Add the eggs, oil, pecan nuts, bananas, pineapple and pineapple juice. Stir with a wooden spoon until evenly mixed.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins, spreading evenly. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tins before turning out on to wire racks to cool.
- For the frosting, beat together the soft cheese, butter and vanilla extract until smooth. Sift n the icing sugar and mix until smooth.
- Sandwich the cakes together with half of the frosting. Spread the remainder over the top, and sprinkle with chopped pecan nuts to decorate.
Venue: The Knit Studio
Date: 23rd September 2011
Theme: One of your Five A Day