A very simple, fine textured cake with a subtle Almond flavour. The Caramel Sauce is devilishly moreish.Print
Almond and Amerettini Bundt Cake with Caramel Sauce
A very simple, fine textured cake with a subtle Almond flavour. The Caramel Sauce is devilishly moreish.
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 10 - 12 slices
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- 200g Unsalted Butter
- 200g Light Muscovado Sugar
- 200ml Double Cream
For the Cake
- 170g Unsalted butter, softened
- 170g Golden Caster Sugar or Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 170g Self Raising Flour sifted
- 0.5tsp Baking Powder sifted
- 50g Amarettini Biscuits finely crushed
- 50g Ground Almonds
- 1tbs Milk (optional)
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 8 Amerettini Biscuits for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 170deg fan assisted 180deg conventional. Spray a 6 cup Bundt tin with cake release spray. If you also dust with flour, make sure you tap out any excess to avoid an unsightly floury crust.
Make the sauce
- Melt the butter and Sugar together over a low heat until it is all melted. Simmer for about 5 mins stirring occasionally. Take off the heat and add the cream. Mix until well combined. Leave to thicken and cool.
Make the Cake
- With an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy and lighter in colour
- Add the eggs one at a time adding a little flour to help prevent curdling.
- Add the remaining flour and the baking powder. Mix until well combined.
- Add the Ground Almonds and crushed Amarettini biscuits. Mix until well combined.
- If the mixture is not of a dropping consistency, add the milk and mix together.
- Spoon the batter carefully into the Bundt tin making sure you fill all the corners of the pattern.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 25-30 mins or until baked, testing the centre of the cake with a skewer until it comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin to cool for about 15 mins, then carefully turn out onto a wire wrap to cool completely.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar and top with the Amarettini biscuits.
- Serve with the Caramel sauce if you wish which will keep in the fridge for several days and can also be used on ice-cream sundaes and other cakes.
The cake will keep in an airtight container for 3 or 4 days.
To loosen the sauce to a pouring consistency after being in the fridge, place in a pan over a very gentle heat for a few moments, or in the microwave for a few seconds according to your oven instructions.