Apple and Blackberry MuffinsPrint Pin Rate
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 9 - 12 slices
- 115 g Butter Melted
- 1 Medium Egg
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 120 ml Buttermilk
- 255 g Plain Flour
- 1 tbs Baking Powder
- 110 g Golden Caster sugar or Golden Granulated Sugar
- 150 g Fresh Blackberries
- 1 Dessert Apple
- 3 tbs Apple Syrup Optional see Apple Syrup recipe for home made.
- Preheat the oven to 170 deg Fan assisted 160 deg conventional. All ovens are different, I suggest you invest in a good oven thermometer.
- If you fancy making your own Apple Syrup here’s my recipe
- Depending on the size of your Muffin case, place 9 – 12 in a Muffin tin
- Mix together the melted butter, egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract into a suitable jug. Leave to one side for now.
- In a separate bowl, sieve together the flour and baking powder. Add the sugar.
- Peel and core the apple, then chop into approx 1 cm chunks.
- Add the Apple and the Blackberries to the flour mix. Give it a good mix ensuring all the apple is coated to help preventing it going brown.
- Pour the liquid mix into the flour and fruit mix. Mix until well combined.
- Using a large spoon or ice-cream scoop, place equal amounts of batter into the Muffin cases.
- Bake in the oven for 25 mins, our until baked, testing the centre of the Muffins with a skewer until it comes out clean.
- While they are still warm, brush with Apple Syrup
- They will keep well in an air tight container and often taste better the next day.
- Note: As soon as the liquid hits the baking powder in the dry mix, it starts to work and produce the lovely air bubbles that makes cakes rise, so it’s important that you get the muffins in the oven to bake as quickly as possible, or you could have dense heavy muffins.To help prevent the chopped Apple going brown, you can also place it in a bowl of cold water while you get the rest of the ingredients ready. But do ensure you pat the apple dry as the excess liquid will alter the batter consistency greatly and may affect the baking times.
Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 121mg | Potassium: 238mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 415IU | Vitamin C: 4.5mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1.6mg