During my trip to Ballymaloe Lit Fest in May 2015, I bought some yummy Organic Irish Apple Syrup, also available online. If you fancy making your own Apple Syrup. Here’s a Tart, Sharp Apple Syrup recipe
This cake is best kept in the fridge because of the fresh fruit content. You may want to bring to room temperate before serving as the buttercream will harden in the fridge.
Apple Syrup Cake
For the Apple Topping
- 4 Medium Dessert Apples
- 2 tbs Water
- 2 tbs Apple Syrup
For the Cake
- 225 g Butter Softened
- 225 g Soft Brown Sugar
- 4 Medium Eggs
- 2 tbs Apple Syrup
- 225 g Self Raising Flour
For the Buttercream
- 170 g Butter Softened
- 240 g Icing Sugar Sieved
- 3 tbs Apple Syrup
- 5 tbs Additional Apple Syrup for pouring. Optional
- Preheat the oven to 170C Fan Assisted. Grease and line the base of 2 x 20cm (8") loose bottomed cake tins.
Make the Apple Topping
- Peel and core the Apples into quarters, then slice each quarter into half, creating not too thick slices of apples.
- Simmer the Apples in a shallow pan with the water and Apple Syrup, until the Apples become soft. Do not stew them
- Take off the heat and leave to cool completely
Make the Cake
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, one at a time, adding a little flour to help prevent curdling.
- Add the Apple Syrup. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in the remaining flour. Pour the batter in to the prepared cake tins and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins or until baked, testing the centre of the cake until it comes out clean.
- When baked, leave in the tin to cool for a few moments, before turning out on to a wired wrack to cool completely.
Make the Buttercream
- Using and electric mixer, beat together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. This may take 5 – 10 mins.
- Add the syrup and beat for a few more minutes until well combined.
- Spread just under half the buttercream mixture on top of one of the cakes then add half the Apple slices. Place the second cake layer on top.
- Decorate the top with the remaining Buttercream and Apples.
- Optional. Pour copious amounts of Apple Syrup over the Apples on the top of the cake.