Hardly a week goes by that I don’t have a couple of over ripe Bananas left in my fruit bowl. You know the kind. Almost black in appearance.
Some have gone a little too far for eating and baking. But they don’t go to waste. Very over ripe inedible fruit and veg go on my compost heap. But Bananas are scattered around the base of the rose bush which sits outside my kitchen window.
Roses love Bananas.
This is because bananas are full of potassium. Yes they are good for us. My grandson has one for breakfast every morning when he comes over. But they are also good for rose bushes. So if you don’t have time to bake with overripe bananas, given your Rose bushes a treat instead.
This Banana and Chocolate cake is an adaptation of my Spiced Banana and Hazelnut Loaf.
You may also like to try some of my other Banana cake recipes.
As always, let me know how you get on with these recipes.
Banana and chocolate Cake
- 150 g butter softened
- 150 g soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 125 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 100 g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder sieved
- 2 large ripe bananas lightly mashed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until lighter in colour with a creamy texture. If needed, scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go along.
- Keep the mixer going and gradually add the eggs a little at a time, adding a little flour to help prevent curdling.
- Sieve the flours, baking powder and cocoa powder together, then add to the cake batter. Add any residual wholemeal husks left from the wholemeal spelt flour. Mix until well combined.
- Add the bananas and Vanilla Extract. Mix until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for approx 50 minutes, or until baked, testing the centre of the cake with a skewer until it comes out cleanly.
- Leave in the tin for 10 – 15 minutes to cool a little before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.