Chocolate Tray Bake with easy to slice chocolate topping.
Chocolate Tray Bake with an easy to slice when hardened chocolate topping.
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 12 good slices
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
For the cake
200g butter (softened)
200g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
200g self raising flour
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon cocoa powder sieved
200g dark chocolate roughly chopped
90g unsalted butter
Make the cake
- Preheat the oven to 170deg fan assisted. Grease and line the base of a shallow 29cm x 19 cm oblong tin or similar. At least 2cm/1ins deep.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time adding a little flour in between each one. This will help prevent the mixture curdling. Mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go along.
- Add the Vanilla Extract, cocoa powder and remaining flour. Mix together until well combined.
- Pour the cake mixture evenly into the prepared tin. Bake for 25 -30 mins in the centre of the oven or until baked. Testing the centre of the cake, in different areas, with a skewer until it comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin to cool completely.
- Slice off any domed part of the cake that has risen too high. This is to give you a reasonably levelled surface for all the lovely chocolatey topping. We are not looking for perfect, so don’t get hung up about how level your cake is.
- Return the cake to the same baking tin.
Make the topping.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir frequently until melted and smooth. Leave to one side to cool a little.
- Pour the chocolate over the top of the cake while still in the baking tin. This is to help prevent the chocolate from oozing over the sides of your cake.
- Before it sets completely, use a fork to create a zig zag pattern in the chocolate.
- Score the chocolate topping into individual slices to make it easier to slice when ready to eat.
This chocolate topping will allow you to slice the cake without the chocolate cracking. But don’t worry if you forget to score it before it sets. It’ll still slice without cracking.
Will keep in an airtight container for a few days.
Keywords: Chocolate Tray bake Hardened chocolate topping