Coconut and Lime Cakes
The Coconut Cream in this recipe enhances the flavour of the desiccated coconut. It also make a really nice, not so dense, perfectly delicious crumb texture.
The coconut flavour is in no way over powering either. It balances the sharp Lime Syrup that is poured over each cake after baking.
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 45
- Yield: 2 x 1lb loaves
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
Coconut and Lime cakes
Makes 2 cakes using 1 lb loaf tins.
225g butter softened
200g caster sugar
4 medium eggs (at room temperature)
225g self raising flour
150g Coconut Cream
50g desiccated coconut
Zest of 1 lime
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 2 limes ( use the juice of the left over lime from making the cake)
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon coconut
Preheat the oven to 170 deg fan assisted. Grease and line 2 x 1lb loaf tins with baking parchment or cake liners.
- Using an electric mixer. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, one at a time. Adding a little flour between each one to help prevent curdling. Mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining flour and mix until well combined.
- Add the coconut cream. Mix until well combined
- Add the coconut and Lime zest. Mix until well combined. Avoid using the electric mixer at this stage, as all the lime zest and coconut will end up wrapped around the beater. Such a waste. Far better to use a wooden spoon or spatula instead.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 – 45 + mins. Or until baked, testing the centre of each cake with a skewer until it comes out clean.
- Leave in the tins to cool. Do not turn them out at this stage.
- While the cakes are cooling. Make the Topping.
- Mix together the sugar, zest and lime juice until the sugar has dissolved. No need to warm the syrup.
- While the cakes are still slightly warm, spoon the syrup over each cake. Leaving the cakes in the tin allows for any syrup to soak through the cake rather than pour over the sides.
- Finish off by sprinkling each cake with coconut.
- Once the cakes have soaked up all the syrup, turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Will keep in an air tight tine for a few days.