Stop the Cranberries from sinking
To make sure that the Cranberries didn’t sink to the bottom during baking, I decided to roughly chop them. Even when dried, cranberries still have a sharp taste to them so I figured chopping them would also disperse their flavours around the cake a little more.
Replacing flour with some ground almonds
I often replace a little flour with ground almonds as they help to make any cake nice and moist. Something we all want in our cakes. Ground Almonds also give a nice crumb texture.
But adding ground almonds doesn’t always give you an almond flavour. Hence the reason for me adding the extract. There’s definitely an almond flavour in these loaves, so if you’re not a fan, you might want to reduce the amount of extract by half.
What I used
Once again, with testing this recipe, I’ve made an additional 2 and frozen one of them. I’ll update this page as to how it defrosted and tasted, at a later date.
Connect with Clandestine Cake!
Be sure to follow me on Social Media so that you never miss a post or a recipe
Sign up to my Newsletter to receive an email for all my new recipes and more.
Cranberry and Almond loaves
A delicious buttery and almond flavoured cake. Making use of any left over dried cranberries in your store cupboard.
- Category: Cake
- Method: baking
250g white caster sugar
4 medium eggs
Half teaspoon Almond Extract
200g self raising flour
50g ground almonds
80 dried cranberries, roughly chopped
Grease and line 2 x 1lb loaf tins
- Preheat the oven to 180deg fan assisted. Line 2 x 1lb loaf tins with baking parchment or cake liners
- Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light a fluffy. Scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go along.
- Add the Almond Extract, along with the eggs, one at a time, adding a little flour each time. Mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining flour, ground almonds and Cranberries. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tins and bake for 40 – 45 mins or until baked, testing the centre of the loaves with a skewer until it comes out clean.
- Leave in the tins to cool for about 10 mins. Before turning out onto a wire wrack to cool completely.
Will keep in an airtight container for a few days.
Keywords: cranberry almond