Whether you’re a football fan or not, there is no escaping the World Cup currently happening around us all, so in East Dorset we decided to embrace it in cake form!
We met at The Angel pub in Longham, Ferndown on a sunny evening when we were all more than happy to be missing the Spain v Morocco game in order to eat cake and have a good chat.
The brilliant array of cakes on offer were:
- MOROCCO – Meskouta (Orange and cardamom cake) made by Gina
- JAPAN – Matcha green tea swiss roll with strawberry cream by Steph
- AUSTRALIA – Lamington cake made by Caroline
- RUSSIA – Medovik (Honey cake) made by me
- PERU – Tres Leches cake made by Sarah
- TUNISIA – Orange and almond cake made by Jackie
- GERMANY – Black forest gateau made by Gaby
- BRAZIL – 3 layered Tres Leches cake made by Jenny
- WORLD CUP – Football pitch cake made by Alyson
It was a lovely evening, thank you to everyone that came along. The cakes offered a great insight into other countries baking traditions and I definitely want to try out baking some more!
Prior to this Cake Club meet up, I had the opportunity to talk to radio presenter Louisa Hannan on BBC Radio Solent Drivetime about our World Cup event. It was a nerve racking experience for me, but I’m pleased to say I managed to get through it and for those who are interested, here is the link so you can have a listen.
You will need to forward to about 1 hr 53 mins into the show.
Our next event is on Thursday 19th July at Sandbanks Beach. The theme is ‘Oh we do love to live beside the seaside!’ and you are very welcome to bake sweet or savoury treats and this does not need to be one big cake to share. I look forward to seeing your creations. This will be our last event as the East Dorset Clandestine Cake Club.