I’m a great admirer of Ann Morgan and her challenge to read the world in 196 countries. Not forgetting an extra territory chosen by her blog readers.
I met Ann, at the Wigtown Book Festival in October 2015. I was invited by the festival organisers to talk about the Clandestine Cake Club and my latest cook book A Year of Cake. As I listened to Ann’s talk, at the festival, about the book she’d written called Reading the World, the people she’d met, and some of the challenges faced, such as when is a country a country, I began to chew over the idea of doing something similar with cookery books, specifically containing cake or bake recipes with origins outside the UK
As people travel and migrate around the world, recipes travel with them. These are then adapted according to available ingredients, which in turn create a whole host of exciting new bakes.
Is this a challenge fraught with problems and arguments as to who first created cakes such as the Sacher Torte. What are the origins of the Red Velvet Cake. Which cook book contains the best tasting recipe.
I need your help in compiling a list of cookery books that contain cake/bake recipes from around the world. The cook book must capture the passion and story of the recipe’s origin. We all may know that the Sacher Torte originated in Vienna and that Lamington Cakes have origins in Australia but what about the Fairy Cakes. Where did they first make an appearance, do people still bake them these days. I used to bake plenty at school Fairs and for the children’s birthday parties. Cupcakes seem to be the favoured mini cake these days, but then again, where did the idea come from. Help me find the cook books that will help me find their origins.
I’ve cleared my book shelves, expanded my waistband to accommodate lots of cake tasting sessions, and will compile a list of books as I go along.
I hope you will join me in this challenge.
The suggested book list so far
- Cakes from Around the World – Julie Duff
- The World’s Best Cakes – Roger Pizzey
- Around the World in 80 Cakes – Claire Clark
- The Best of Baking – Annette Walter and Christian Teubner
- United Cake of America – Warren Brown
- This suggested list is thanks to John Holland.
- Honey & Co. The Baking Book – Sarit Packer & Itamar Srulovich
- The Book of Buns – Jane Mason
- Sun bread and sticky toffee – Sarah Al-Hamad
- Love Bake Nourish – Amber Rose
- Scandinavian Baking – Trine Hahnemann
- Sugar Rush – Johnny Iuzzini
- Nordic Bakery Cookbook – Miisa Mink
- Sugar and Spice – Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra
- The Violet Bakery Cookbook – Claire Ptak
- Sally Baking Addiction – Sally McKenney
- Italian Home Baking – Gino D’Acampo
- Bake Like An Italian – Catherine Fulvio
- Dolci – Francine Segan