Chocolate ganache, is relatively easy to make. The amount in this recipe will fill and cover a 7″/18cm cake. Such as this Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe.
What is chocolate ganache?
Chocolate ganache is mixture of double cream and chocolate. Often flavoured with liqueur. It’s great for filling and topping cakes. It’s also good for dripping cakes too.
How to prevent Chocolate Ganache from splitting.
From time to time, chocolate ganache can split if you’re not careful. I’ve found it’s due to three things.
- Not leaving the hot cream long enough to infuse into the chocolate. It needs to permeate all of the chocolate for it to come to a soft consistency before you start to bring it all together. If it splits in the bowl, sadly, you’ll need to start again. I haven’t found a way of bringing it back. If you discover a solution, I’d love to hear from you.
- Don’t over mix. As soon as all the cream and chocolate comes together, looking all nice a shiny. STOP MIXING. Leave it alone. It’s done. Fill and pour over your cake. Taking care not to overly spread the mixture either as this can also start the splitting process, even at this stage.
- Use good quality chocolate. That doesn’t always mean the expensive kind, but it does mean finding a chocolate with high cocoa solids such as 70%. After all, you’ve made your cake and you want to finish it with lots of chocolate flavours.
You may also like to try;
How to make Chocolate Ganache
- 350 g Dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 300 ml Double cream
- 1 tbs of your favourite liqueur optional
- Place the chopped chocolate into a heat proof bowl. Heat the cream on a medium heat, until you see bubbles around the side of the pan. Do not boil.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and leave to infuse for a couple of mins to allow the chocolate to soften.
- Add the liqueur then gently start to mix the cream and chocolate together, until you have a rich smooth glossy consistency.
- Leave to set to a spreadable consistency at room temperature. This could take a couple of hours, depending on how hot your kitchen is.