A dense, nutty textured cake, with a zingy lemon flavour. Topped with a few slices of lemon and citrus glaze.
Lemon and Almond Madeira cake
- 270 g butter softened
- 270 g golden caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs lightly beaten
- 180 g self raising flour
- 90 g ground almonds
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 tbs lemon juice. about half a large lemon.
- 1 tbs flaked almonds
- half a large lemon thinly sliced
- 2 tbs water
- 2 tbs golden caster sugar
Bake the cake
- Preheat the oven to 160deg fan assisted. I used a steam oven.
- Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 900g/2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, adding a little of the flour to help prevent curdling. Mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining flour, ground almonds, lemon juice and zest. Beat on low setting until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin and smooth the surface, then sprinkle the flaked almonds on top.
- Bake in the oven for 1hr 10 mins or until baked. Testing the centre of the cake with a skewer until it comes out clean.
- All ovens vary, so test your cake when 3/4 baked to give you an idea of how much longer you will need.
- When baked, take out of the oven and leave in the tin to cool for about 10mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, place the sliced half lemon, water and sugar into a small pan and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for about 5 mins until the liquid turns syrupy. Decorate the cake with the sliced lemon and glaze with the residual syrup.