An all butter Orange Madeira cake with a hint of Zesty Orange. Topped with a Zingy Orange glaze and Homemade Orange Peel.
Orange Madeira Cake
For the Cake
- 180 g Butter at room temperature
- 180 g Caster Sugar
- 3 Medium Sized Eggs Lightly Beaten
- 250 g Self Raising Flour
- 3 tbs Plain Natural Yogurt
- Zest of 1 Medium Orange
For the Topping
- 2 Strips of Orange Candied Peel
- 150 g Icing Sugar
- 2 tbs Fresh Orange Juice
Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg Fan assisted.Grease and line 1 x 8ins/20cm deep sided, loose bottomed cake tin.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs, adding a little flour to help prevent curdling. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in the remaining flour, then add the Yogurt and Orange Zest. Mix until well combined.
- Bake in the oven for 35 mins or until baked, testing the centre of the cake with a skewer until it comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for a few moments to cool a little, then turn out onto a wire wrack to cool completely.
Make the Glaze
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl, then gradually add the orange juice until you reach a slow pouring constancy. You may not need all the juice, but if the the gaze is too runny, add more icing sugar.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled cake, then top with the sliced Orange Candied Peel.