Recipe contributed by Duanne.
The basis of the cake was originally taken from Planet Cake cookbook but was adapted to suit UK ingredients and the flavour was changed quite a bit. I also changed the cooking method to get a better bake’
Adapted from Paris Cutlers’ Planet Cake Book
Rhubarb Bellini Cake
For the Cake
- 300 g Unsalted Butter Chopped
- 300 g White Chocolate Chopped
- 300 g Plain
- 150 g Self Raising Flour
- 400 g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs Lightly beaten
- 1 tsp Champagne Flavouring
For the Rhubarb Jam
- 500 g Rhubarb cut into 3cm chunks
- 500 g Caster Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Pod Havled and seeds scraped
- 1 tbs Brandy
- 500 g Caster Sugar
- 2 tbs Red Vermouth
For the White Chocolate and Champagne Cheesecake Frosting
- 340 g Bright White Candy Melts
- 300 g Cream Cheese
- 0.5 tsp Champagne Concentrate
Method for the Cake
- Preheat Oven to 180C/350F/Gas4
- Grease a 9? round tin and line the base and sides with a collar of baking paper that extends 2cm above the top of the tin.
- Place the Butter and 270ml water and caster sugar into a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved.
- Turn off the heat and add the broken Chocolate and stir until well combined.
- Sift the flours together in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and stir together and make a well in the centre.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and place in the oven. After 10 minutes reduce the temperature to 160C (325F/Gas 3)
- After a further 20 minutes reduce the temperature to about Gas 2 ½ (155C/315F)
- Bake for another 1h10min or until a skewer comes out clean although it may be sticky.
- Leave the cake in the tin until completely cold. While the cake is cooling you can make the ‘Jam’ and frosting.
Method for the Rhubarb Jam
- Put a small plate in the freezer.
- Put the rhubarb in a large saucepan with the rest of the ingredients and stir gently until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the Rhubarb once it is just tender and set aside.
- Bring the syrup to the boil and boil for another 5 minutes or until thick.
- Test for setting point by spooning a little onto your chilled plate. After 1-2 mins, push your finger through the jam – if the surface wrinkles it is ready, if not, keep cooking for 2-min intervals, testing in between. (Or if you have a sugar thermometer it should reach 105C)
- Set aside to cool completely.
Method for the White Chocolate and Champagne Cheesecake Frosting
- Melt the Candy Melts in a double boiler until just melted, remove from heat and allow to cool to room
- temperature. Or melt in the microwave in 10 second bursts on high power, stirring after each burst.
- Beat the cream cheese and champagne concentrate in a standing beater on high for 3 minutes.
- Turn the speed down to low and slowly add the cooled white chocolate and incorporate well.
- Scrape down well
- Turn the speed up to high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Scrape the sides down well and beat for a further 2 minutes on high.
- It is now ready to use.
Assemble the Cake
- Slice the cake into three layers.
- Brush 2 layers with a little Rhubarb syrup and a little Cream cheese mixture and place small pieces of rhubarb over the surface.
- Place these 2 layers on top of each other and then place the third layer on top and coat the entire surface with the remaining cream cheese mix.
- Place in the refrigerator to set.
- The cake can be decorated with sticks of the remaining rhubarb with a little syrup drizzled on top.
- I sprinkled over some cornflower petals as I had grown some but any organic edible flowers can be used as well although that is entirely optional.