Made especially for Easter with a little Marzipan and topped with Hollow Chocolate Easter Eggs.
Simnel Cake topped with Marzipan and Hollow Chocolate Eggs
For the Cake
- 175 g Butter
- 125 g Self-raising wholemeal flour
- 100 g Self-raising white flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Mixed spice
- 100 g Light Brown sugar
- 125 g Mixed Dried fruits such as Currants Raisins and Sultanas
- 75 g Glace Cherries roughly chopped
- 50 g Cut Mixed Peel
- 100 g Marzipan Grated
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 1 tbs tablespoon Milk
- 3 large tablespoons Ginger preserve
- 100 g Marzipan
- 15 Hollow chocolate eggs Bag of 25 from Marks and Spencer
- 75 g White Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan assisted. Grease and line a 20 x 28cm rectangular tin.
- Melt the butter and leave to one side to cool.
- Place the Flours, Cinnamon, Mixed Spice, Sugar, Mixed Fruit, Glace Cherries, Mixed Peel and Grated Marzipan into a large bowl. Give everything a good stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, lightly mix together the eggs and milk, then pour in to the dry ingredients followed by the melted butter. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until baked, testing the centre of the cake until it comes out clean. Leave in the tin for a few moments to cool, before turning out onto a wire wrack to cool completely.
- Roll out the 100g of marzipan to 2mm thickness and cut 15 flower shapes, using your favourite cutter.
- Gently warm the Ginger Preserve, sieve to remove and disregard any Ginger pieces, then spread 3/4 over the top of the cake arranging the Marzipan flowers evenly on top.
- Spread the remaining Ginger Preserve over the Marzipan and any uncoated areas of cake.
- Decorate the centre of each marzipan with hollow Chocolate Eggs.
- Gently heat the white chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the whole cake including the eggs.
- Leave to cool before cutting in to squares.