WEEK FOUR OF SIX
Holiday baking challenge
Vanilla cupcakes with marzipan bees
For the cake:
175g caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp. vanilla
For the marzipan bees:
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. fresh orange juice (or apple juice)
100g ground almonds
100g icing sugar
Flaked almonds as wings
50g melted chocolate to drizzle as stripes and eyes
For the buttercream:
450g icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
- Pre heat the oven to 175 degrees and pop 12 cupcake cases into a muffin tray. Set aside.
- To make marzipan, add ALL ingredients for marzipan together and mix up until a firm ball is made. Roll 12 individual balls from this (for bees). Stick 2 flaked almonds into each bee to make wings and, using the melted chocolate, create stripes and eyes to complete your bees! Pop into the fridge to cool while you make the buttercream and cupcakes.
- To make buttercream, pop icing sugar, butter and vanilla into a bowl and beat until a smooth thick buttercream is formed. Set aside.
- To make cupcakes, add butter and flour to a bowl and mix well until combined. (You can use an electric mix or mix by hand)
- Add the eggs and vanilla a little at a time. Mix well each time.
- Finally, add the flour to the mixture and mix well, making sure you get all the flour off the edges of the bowl! This should now give you a smooth batter.
- Spoon an equal amount of batter into each cake case and pop into the oven for around 12 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
- Once cakes are fully cool, spoon on your buttercream (making sure each cake is equal!) and swirl into a pretty pattern. You could use a nozzle and piping bag if you want a fancy pattern with your buttercream.
- Pop a bee onto each cake!
- These are a lot easier to share as you can have one each. Enjoy!
Tweet your cupcake pictures to @clandestinecake and @itsmadebyleah or email them to email@example.com and we’ll add them to the gallery of those taking part in the challenge.
Hover your cursor over each image to reveal the baker’s name.