Bakewell tart with a Christmas twist
For the Pastry
225g plain flour
100g softened butter
25g caster sugar
1 pinch of salt
For the Filling
One jar of mincemeat (or homemade)
125g melted butter
125g golden caster sugar
125g ground almonds
1 tsp. almond extract
(May have to double up mixture depending what size flan dish you have)
- Grease and prepare a 22cm (approx.) flan or tart dish, and pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- To make pastry, put all pastry ingredients into a bowl and rub together using the tips of your fingers. It should all come together into a firm ball. Pop the pastry dough into the fridge while you make your filling.
- If you make your own mincemeat, that’s great! But for ease for this recipe, grab your jar from the shops and pop it open for when the pastry is cooked.
- For the frangipane filling, melt your butter and add to all the other ingredients for the filling (minus the mincemeat). Give it a whizz or mix until it comes together. Set aside next to your jar of mincemeat for now.
- Grab your pastry from the fridge and roll it on a floured work surface. Pop it into your tart dish and push against the edges so it picks up the designs. (Remember not to roll your pastry too thick, but also not too thin that it means the filling could leak through- a happy medium!)
- Bake blind in the oven for around 10 minutes until golden and slightly firm.
- Take this part baked pastry out of the oven and spoon mincemeat into the bottom of the tart. Spread it around so it is a layer at the base of the tart shell. (add as much or as little as you think you’d enjoy, I love it so I spread a thick layer!)
- Top the mincemeat with the frangipane mixture and level it out with a spoon. If you had any spare pastry, you could make stars and pop on top now to bake!
- Bake for approx. 25 minutes until the frangipane is firm.
- Once cooled, top with water icing and almonds if you wish. Enjoy!
- Week two Hot chocolate and marshmallow cookies
- Week three Salted caramel cake with Christmas chocolates
Bake along with us on social media using the hashtag #AdventBakeAlong @itsmadebyleah