Yorkshire Parkin containing medium Oatmeal. Without it, it’s merely a Ginger Cake.
- 200 g Unsalted Butter
- 100 g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 100 g Black Treacle
- 150 g Golden Syrup
- 110 g Medium Oatmeal
- 180 g Self Raising Flour
- 3/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 Large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tbs Milk
- Preheat the oven to 150deg Fan Assisted. Grease and line an 8" square, loose bottomed cake tin with baking parchment.
- Place the butter, Black Treacle, Golden Syrup and Brown Sugar in a pan over a low heat. Gently simmer until all the sugar and butter have melted.
- Take off the heat and leave to one side to cool a little.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a large heat proof bowl and gently mix together.
- Pour the cooled sugar treacle mix over the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the eggs until well combined, remembering that the mixture may still be a little hot and you don’t want scrambled eggs. Add the milk and give it all a good mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 25 – 35 mins or until cooked, testing the centre of the cake with a skewer until it comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin to cool for around 15 mins before removing from the tin then leave to cool completely.
- Parkin improves with age by keeping tightly wrapped in an airtight container for 2 – 5 days, before cutting and eating.