- 1 Large Dessert Apple
- 85 g Butter Softened
- 85 g Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 50 g Ground Almonds
- 75 g Self Raising Flour Sieved
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbs Apple Syrup For Glazing
- Get all your ingredients ready and weighed out.
- Preheat the oven to 170 deg Fan assisted.
- Have ready 1 x Disposable (Paper) 7" Cake Tin or grease and line the base of a (7") 18cm loose bottomed cake tin.
Prep the Apple
- Slice the Apple very thinly discarding any pips in the centre. Cut each slice in half down the centre.
- Place all the slices in a jug of cold water, with a squeeze of Lemon juice if you have it, to prevent the Apples discolouring. Leave to one side while you make the cake batter.
Make the Cake
- Using a hand held mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until lighter in colour and a little fluffy.
- Add the Eggs one at a time, adding a little flour in-between to help prevent curdling. Mix until well combined.
- Add the Ground Almonds and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining flour and Cinnamon. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake tin, levelling off the top.
- Drain and pat dry the slices of Apple. Any excess liquid working its way into the cake batter will alter the consistency and make it too runny. Carefully arrange the slices on top of the batter.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 – 30 mins. Testing the centre of the cake with a skewer until it comes out clean.
- Gently heat the Apple Syrup and while the cake is still warm, glaze the top of the Apples with the Sauce.