This recipe for Crème Légère is inspired by ‘World’s Best Cakes’ by Roger Pizey.
What is Creme Legere? (crème légère)
Crème Légère (light cream) is a mix of Crème patissier (cream pastry) and freshly wipped cream. It’s the perfect luxurious filling for any cake.
You can use the Crème Pâtissière in all forms of baking including Trifles and Tarts. But for something special like a multilayered sponge cake where a million bubbles of whisked Egg Whites elevate a cake to new heights, add some Crème Légère between the layers to complete the taste and texture.
How to make Chocolate Ganache
If you want to take your cake one step further, try this Chocolate Ganache and cover your cake on the outside. The flavours will balance very nicely.
- 60 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Whole Eggs
- 30 g Plain Flour or Corn Flour
- 300 ml Double Cream
- 1 Vanilla Pod Seeded
- 60 g Unsalted Butter
- In a heat proof bowl, beat together the Sugar, Eggs and Flour until well combined.
- Heat 200ml of the cream with the Vanilla Pod and Seeds until bubbles form, sieve then add to the Egg mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Return the mixture to a clean pan and gently heat the Crème mixture beating all the time as it thickens to avoid lumps forming.
- As soon as the mixture thickens take off the heat and add the butter, beating until all the butter has melted and incorporated in the creme mixture.
- Place the Crème Pâtissière into a separate bowl and cover the top of the creme with cling film to prevent a skin forming. Leave to cool completely, in the fridge if needed.
- When completely cooled soften the Crème Pâtissière a little by giving it a quick whisk.
- In a separate bowl whip the remaining (100g) cream until ribbons are formed then add to the smooth Crème Pâtissière, mix until well combined.
- Leave in the fridge until required. Crème Pâtissière now becomes Crème Légère ~ Light Creme
Connect with Clandestine Cake!
Be sure to follow me on Social Media so that you never miss a post or a recipe
Sign up to my Newsletter to receive an email for all my new recipes and more.