I recently bought a jar of ‘Proper Nutty’ Peanut Butter from NorthStar Coffee Shop. It’s one of my favourite places in Leeds for good coffee and cakes. All the baking is done by Sarah Lemanski and her team of Noisette Bakehouse.
Not everyone in my family are a fan of peanut butter being served by itself, so I thought about making some brownies and adding a few dollops to the mix. The result was perfection. A hint of peanut butter with a rich chocolate taste.
What is Peanut Butter?
Peanut Butter is a thick spread made from ground, dry roasted peanuts. Some products add additional oils, such as Palm Oil and other ingredients to alter the taste and texture. I prefer the kind that roast the peanuts with their skins on. With no additional ingredients, save for a little salt.
How to make these brownies
Making these brownies, couldn’t be simpler. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water. When melted, take off the heat and add the sugar. Mix until well combined.
Ways to adapt this recipe.
If you don’t like peanut butter, a good alternative would be Lindt Hazelnut paste or nutella.
Try making some and let me know how you get on.
Tips for making Peanut Butter brownies.
Peanut Butter Brownies
- 200 g good quality dark chocolate min 50% cocoa
- 175 g unsalted butter
- 320 g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste. Or the seeds from 1 Vanilla pod.
- 130 g plain flour
- 6 tsp rounded teaspoons of Peanut Butter
- Preheat the oven to 170 fan assisted. Grease and line a 28cm x 20cm x 5cm baking tray, with baking parchment.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- When melted, take off the heat and add the sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Add the vanilla to the beaten egg. Give it a little mix until well combined. This will help the vanilla flavour to disperse evenly throughout the mixture.
- Add the flour and egg mix to the sugar chocolate mix. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared baking tray. With the dollops of Peanut butter, create swirls of peanut butter and chocolate evenly into the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 30 – 35 mins. Or until you have a crusty top and a squidgy soft centre. Leave in the tray to cool a little before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into squares. Will keep in an airtight container for a few days.